LAO PEOPLE’S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC
Peace Independence Democracy Unity Prosperity
Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
Department of Agriculture No.0467/DOA
Vientiane, dated 27 March 2012
On Enhancing the Attention On the Inspection of Import Plant in Particular Seed and Planting Material in Contradiction to Plant Quarantine Regulatory Law Of Lao PDR
To: All Plant Protection Border Check Points throughout the Country
- Pursuant to the Plant Protection Law No.06/NA, dated 09 December 2008.
- Pursuant to the notice of the Minister of Agriculture and Forestry on enhancing the responsibility on plant protection works, No.1429/MAF, dated 18/11/2009.
- Based on the outbreak of pest in areas where introduced seeds were being used.
In the last 3 years, according to the monitoring and surveillance’s result, and review of technical literatures, it’s found that the pest’s outbreak is increased and especially more served in the planting area such as: plantation of potato, cassava, sugarcane, agar wood and eucalyptus.
Base on technical verification has proved that the claimed pest incidence is not indigenous in the Lao PDR. The cause of the pest outbreak is from the introduction of seeds and planting materials which are infested with serious pest and low quality from foreign country passing through various plant protection border check points or using the import permit that is not conformed to concern legislation. In addition, Some importation use the fraudulence phytosanitary certificate that is not consistence with the model as prescribed by the National Plant Protection Organization (NPPO) of export country. All these activities create the negative effects to commercial production of farmers and pose the high risk on pest outbreak and invade cash crops throughout the country, beside they also create tremendous debt to farmers and producers.
In securing the interest and resource of the government, entity and investor for planting, and to protect the plant genetic resources of economic crops of Lao PDR before damaging from the high potential pest outbreak. The Department of Agriculture notifies the measures as following:
- Plant protection officers of all border check points shall strictly inspect, according to the plant protection law, seeds and planting materials that are imported from abroad or suspected area of infestation or present pest out break.
- Import permit or the permit for enter of plants, seeds and planting materials shall be conformed to the notice of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry No.1429/MAF, Dated 18/11/2009; of which the Department of Agriculture has authorization to examine , conduct pest risk analysis and issue the import permit.
- Phytosanitary certificate of plants, seeds and planting materials shall be issued only by competence authority of export country and conformed with phytosanitary sanitary import requirement of importing country as officially prescribed. In case of doubt or false Phytosanitary certificate is intercepted, the plant protection officer shall immediately inform or coordinator with Plant Quarantine Officer, the Department of Agriculture.
- The task of plant protection officer shall conform to article 38 and 39 articles of the Plant Protection Law of Lao PDR.
- Border plant quarantine post should cooperate and inform the concern authority on the process of inspection and the issuance of import permit. Besides that, he/her shall pose the Notification on the declaration of documentation required before the arrival of commodities.
- In case of violation, the plant protection offers should make the record to be used for investing and evident for punishment according to the relevant law, and timely reports to the Department of Agriculture.
- Following receives this notice; All Plant Protection Border Check Points throughout the Country collectively shall implement this measure with high responsibility.
Director General of DOA